NP Preceptor: Health Policy
Where does policy come from? Why should nurses engage in policy? What can NPs do to expand their practices to include policy work? This course will discuss how NPs can engage as leaders and make positive changes.
This self-paced course consists of 4 sub-modules and takes about 1 hour to complete.
Pre-Test - Please complete the pre-test. It only takes about 3 minutes. Test results are reported as AGGREGATE DATA ONLY for us to evaluate the effectiveness of each learning module. Thank you!
Module 1: NPs and the Policy Arena - How can NPs influence health care beyond their patients, families, and communities? This module discusses NPs' role in the policy arena.
Module 2: NP Scope of Practice and the New York Modernization Act - This sub-module discusses the most important legislation of your career -- the Nurse Practice Act.
Module 3: Conversation with Peg O'Donnell - Peg O'Donnell is an adult and family nurse practitioner discusses her activism at the local, state, and national levels.
Module 4: Conversation with State Representative Gale Adcock - Gale Adcock is a member of the North Carolina House of Representatives representing District 41. She is a family nurse practitioner and in this module she discusses her career and journey as a legislator, as well as how NPs can become involved in shaping health policy.
Post-Test - Please complete the post-test. Like the pre-test, it only takes about 3 minutes and test results are reported as AGGREGATE DATA ONLY for us to evaluate the effectiveness of each learning module. Thank you!
Evaluation - Please complete this brief evaluation to receive CE credit.
Nurse Practitioner Preceptors
1. Describe the role of NPs in the policy arena
2. Apply the principles of the NY State modernization act to clinical practice for novice and experienced NPs
3. Discuss ways to become involved in local, state, and national policy initiatives to improve NP practice
4. Describe ways to become involved in local, state, and national policy initiatives to improve patient outcomes
5. Discuss ways for NPs and all APNs to become active in politics, based on the interviews with North Carolina State Representative, Gale Adcock
Susan Apold, PhD, APN-BC, FAAN, FAANP
Faculty Disclosure: None to report.
- 1.00 Contact hours
Participants: Prior to the start of the activity, please review the below information to ensure successful participation in this Internet Activity
List of hardware/software requirements
Internet connection, Web browser, computer audio